Top Weight Loss Site

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

New Weight-Loss Discovery May Help Tens of Millions of Dieters!

By John Walker
M.D.

Have you heard of Hoodia? If not, I'm sure you'll be hearing more about its amazing appetite-suppressing benefits in the near future.

Hoodia gordonii is a plant native to South Africa, and has been used for centuries by the San people of the Kalahari Desert for a variety of medicinal purposes.

Hoodia belongs to a category of plant called "succulents." It actually looks like a cactus and has the consistency of a cucumber when eaten raw. However, the Kalahari Bushmen don't eat Hoodia for the taste. For many years, the plant has been a dietary mainstay for hunters on long trips. It helps them ward off pain, hunger and thirst while on hunting expeditions.

Hoodia apparently first came to attention of "outsiders" through a Dutch anthropologist who was studying the San Bushmen, but it wasn't until the 1960s when scientific interest in Hoodia began.

Since then, testing has revealed a substance called P 57 in Hoodia that seems to be the active chemical in appetite suppression. The P 57 molecule is estimated to be up to 10,000 times as potent as glucose in sending a signal to your brain that the body is in a state of satiety, or in common terms, not hungry.

The exact mechanism of appetite suppression by Hoodia has not been completely elucidated. It appears that the active ingredient stimulates a center in your brain called the hypothalamus that helps regulate hunger. It "tricks" the brain into thinking that you are full, and thus you don't want to eat. It works by mimicking the effect that glucose has on the nerve cells in your brain, thus curbing your appetite.

Furthermore, it also has been reported that people eating Hoodia noted an immediate improvement of their mood.

So, Hoodia might have some other positive benefits beyond appetite suppression. Just think: You don't want to overeat, and you feel good about it! I never thought I'd be able to say that.

Limited human studies have been done, but in both animal and human trials, Hoodia was able to substantially decrease the amount of calories ingested, thus leading to weight reduction. In fact, in a December 2001 study, Phytopharm completed a double-blind, placebo-controlled clinical study in overweight, but otherwise healthy volunteers using Hoodia Gordonii.

The larger doses of Hoodia caused a statistically significant reduction in the average daily calorie intake. In addition, a statistically significant reduction in body fat content was also observed compared to the placebo group after two weeks.

Some people who take Hoodia notice their appetite is suppressed within 20 to 30 mintues, and it may last for several hours. They have a diminished interest in food, a full feeling, a delay in the onset of hunger and in some cases an increased sense of well-being. In others, it may take up to 2 to 3 weeks to achieve its maximum effect. The great news is that Hoodia is not a stimulant, so it has not been reported to make people jittery or anxious.

In fact, there have been very few side effects reported with Hoodia use.Since Hoodia is only native to South Africa, the supply is somewhat limited, and the cost is significant. Additionally, its success and publicity as an effective, safe appetite suppressant has brought many unscrupulous suppliers to the market.

It is extremely important to know what you are buying and from whom you're buying, because the dosage and ingredients are very critical to success. NSI Hoodia Gordonii is an amazing 20:1 extract obtained entirely from South African Hoodia Gordonii plants.

This means that rather than filling the capsule with the fibrous plant structures, the active ingredients are extracted and fully present in the capsule. This allows the individual capsule to be more potent, safe and effective. You won't find a better Hoodia product on the market or at a better price.

If you have read my newsletters before, you know that I generally try things out on myself before I recommend them. I like to see what kind of results may be expected, and if there are any side effects that would make me hesitant to recommend a product. Earlier this year, I discussed an approach to supplements that would help you manage your weight. We discussed the beneficial effects of Green Tea, Tonalin® and Calcium.

I have been taking these supplements since January, and have had a slow, steady reduction in my weight, helping me shed those dreaded holiday pounds.But my downfall with weight loss-as I'm sure is true with many of you-was that I often remained hungry. Simply stated, if you are very hungry, you are at higher risk of overeating, and that can impair your weight reduction.

So while I was dropping the pounds, I was still battling hunger and not doing quite as well as I would have liked. Then, on a recent visit to the Vitacost.com home office, I was discussing products, and Hoodia came up.

After doing some research, I decided to start taking Hoodia before each meal. After all, if Hoodia was able to help control my hunger, then I could further cut down the calories. I was hoping that Hoodia would be the perfect complement to my present regimen.After taking Hoodia for two weeks, I noticed a dramatic difference in my hunger and my cravings. I now go into mealtimes without ravenous hunger, and I can control my portions much more easily.

In fact, I don't even need to eat the between-meal snacks that I used to need to help hold me over to the next meal. And since the green tea and calcium are helping keep my metabolism going, I don't need the snacks to achieve that effect. In short, Hoodia seems to be the missing piece to my weight-reduction puzzle.

I am now losing pounds and inches more quickly, I don't feel hungry and I don't overeat, so I no longer have food-related guilt.I must emphasize and stress one important fact: You must eat enough protein to help you maintain your muscle mass. If you don't, some of your weight reduction will be muscle, and your body's metabolism will slow down.

So don't forget to include one or two Walker Diet shakes in your daily intake. In fact, if you used them for breakfast and lunch, you probably would be just fine. Then, have a regular dinner with some source of protein, low glycemic carbs and plenty of vegetables. The Tonalin in the regimen will also help you maintain your muscle mass.

And finally, don't forget the importance of exercise, both aerobic and strength training. This will also help you burn calories and keep muscle.

I'd recommend that you take 2 NSI Hoodia Gordonii capsules 30 to 60 minutes before each meal. If after one week you do not respond to this dose, you can increase to 3 capsules. If after a while your hunger is reduced, then you can decrease the dose. Continue to use the Green Tea, Calcium and Tonalin, and you have a complete weight-reduction regimen that helps curb your hunger and keep your metabolism in high gear.

No comments: